Somatoform & Neurological Disorders
Group Leader: Dr Kasia Koslowska
Children with conversion disorder present with physical conditions such as blindness, paralysis and other neurological symptoms resulting from pyschological stress. Our research is investigating the causes and pathways underlying this disorder with the aim of better treatments and recovery.
Our group also has projects aimed at reducing the incidence of Shaken Baby Syndrome, which can have profound life-long neurological effects on the child.
> Somatoform Disorders Research Projects include:
- Emotional processing in children with medically unexplained symptoms
- Children experiencing conversion disorder and chronic pain
> Child Protection: Shaken Baby Prevention Projects:
- Development of videos to prevent child abuse in the form of shaking babies
- Implementation of learning tools for prevention of shaken baby syndrome
- Determining how parents can respond to a crying baby in a safe way