Ocular Gene and Cell Therapies Australia
The Ocular Gene and Cell Therapies Australia program is a joint initiative between Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network (SCHN), Children’s Medical Research Institute (CMRI) and Save Sight Institute (SSI), University of Sydney. The program aims to accelerate the genomic diagnosis and development of novel genetic therapies for children and adults with ocular (eye) diseases across Australia.
The collaborative program is made up of research experts, many of whom are pioneers of their work in various fields, including genomics of genetic ocular diseases, functional investigations, investigation of novel ocular genetic and stem cell therapies, delivery of ocular genetic therapies and clinical expertise in genomic and ophthalmic diagnoses.
The program has gained international recognition for successful work and leadership in genomic and ophthalmic diagnosis and management of Inherited Retinal Diseases (IRD).
The program is now aiming to expand:
- The portfolio of gene and other advanced therapy clinical deliveries and clinical trials
- Translation of multi-omics for additional diagnostic and mechanistic insights in ocular diseases to enhance development of further novel genetic and cellular therapies
- The pre-clinical program to test additional novel gene, stem cell and other advanced therapies for ocular diseases
Interested in working with us?
Please contact our Ocular Gene and Cell Therapies Project Officer, Laura Wedd to learn more.
The leadership team
- Professor Robyn Jamieson, Head, Eye Genetics Research Unit, CMRI, SCHN and SSI
- Dr Anai Gonzalez Cordero, Head, Stem Cell Medicine Group and Stem Cell and Organoid Facility, CMRI
- Professor John Grigg, Head, Specialty of Ophthalmology, University of Sydney and Inherited Retinal Disease Specialist, SCHN, SSI and Sydney Eye Hospital
- Associate Professor Matthew Simunovic, Vitreoretinal Surgeon, Sydney Eye Hospital and SCHN
- Dr Gaurav Bhardwaj, Vitreoretinal Surgeon, Westmead Hospital and SCHN
- Clinical Professor Bruce Bennetts, Head, Sydney Genome Diagnostics Laboratory, Western Sydney Genetics Program, SCHN
- Peter Barclay, CHW Director of Pharmacy, SCHN
- Dr Alan Ma, Clinical Geneticist, Eye Genetics Research Unit, CMRI and SCHN
- Contact: Ocular Gene and Cell Therapies Project Officer, SCHN and CMRI - Laura Wedd: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org